Low credit scores are often the results of a mishap that’s outside your control. A lost job, cut hours, medical emergency, or loved one in need puts you in a tough spot, and suddenly your bills pile up faster than you can make money. Unfortunately, getting your finances in order won’t automatically improve your credit.
Many of the negative marks that are added to your credit reports when you fall behind on bills can stay there for up to seven years, even if you’re no longer behind.
However, sometimes, the negative marks in your credit history aren’t completely accurate, shouldn’t be on your credit report anymore, or the creditor can’t verify the negative information it’s reporting. When that’s the case, you may be able to get these negative marks corrected or deleted and quickly improve your creditworthiness.
About Credit Saint—Credit Repair Company Based in New Jersey
Credit Saint is a New Jersey-based credit restoration company that’s been in business for over 19 years. As with other top-rated credit repair companies in New Jersey and across the country, we take a multi-prong approach to helping our clients understand and take control of their credit.
Identifying and disputing mistakes in your credit history is only part of the process. Our trained credit counselors in New Jersey can thoroughly and plainly explain how to read your credit report, what impacts your credit scores, and the steps you can take to improve your scores.
Former clients and professional review sites alike recognize our dedication to customer success:
- The Better Business Bureau (BBB) first accredited Credit Saint in 2007 and we hold an A rating.
- The Credit Review, which rates companies in the credit industry, has recognized Credit Saint as the best credit repair company in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.
- Better Credit Blog, a credit-focused site, determined Credit Saint is one of the best credit repair companies in 2020.
- Consumers Advocate, which does in-depth reviews of companies in various industries, lists Credit Saint as the top company in its credit repair section. Credit Saint has a five-star rating on the site based on over 125 customer comments and reviews.
- ConsumerAffairs similarly lists Credit Saint as a top pick with four-and-a-half stars out of five based on nearly 50 customer reviews.
As many review sites and customers point out, we stand out with our US-based customer support and 90-day money-back guarantee. While clients generally see a change in their credit score within 45 days of starting a credit repair package, you can ask for a full refund if no negative items are removed from your credit reports within the first 90 days.
Do I Need a Lawyer or Can I Use a Credit Repair Company?
You have the right to a credit report that accurately represents your credit history, and you don’t need to hire a lawyer or credit repair company to dispute inaccuracies. However, hiring professional help can be a good idea.
Credit reporting and scoring are complex industries and credit repair organizations can provide value based on their expertise. It’s similar to how you can prepare and file your taxes on your own, but using tax preparation software or hiring an accountant may lead to better results and save you time.
For example, there are many myths about what impacts your credit, and one common myth is that you need to revolve a credit card balance to improve your credit. It’s not true, and following this bad advice can lead to unnecessarily paying interest.
Credit Saint’s credit counselors understand what actually matters and help clients make informed decisions that can improve their credit and save them money. They also use their knowledge to closely review your credit reports from all three major bureaus—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
That being said, there are times when you should hire a lawyer rather than working with a credit repair company. If creditors or debt collectors are harassing you, or the bureaus won’t correct your credit reports after you repeatedly show them proof that there’s an error, a consumer protection attorney might be your best option.
Credit Saint’s counselors can point out when you have a potential lawsuit on your hands. Often, attorneys take these cases on contingency and you’ll only have to pay if you win. And some of the applicable federal laws allow for fee-shifting, which means that when you win, the other side will pay the fee anyway.
What Laws Impact Credit Repair in New Jersey?
An important aspect of credit repair, and why it’s often helpful to work with professionals, is understanding the applicable state and federal laws. Some of the most important credit laws are:
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) – Main federal law that governs what can and cannot be in your credit report. The law outlines when negative items must be removed and gives you the right to dispute inaccuracies in your credit reports.
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) – Federal law that says when and how debt collectors can contact you. The law prohibits collectors from harassing or lying to you and requires collectors to stop contacting you (except for special circumstances) after you mail them a request to stop.
- Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA) – Federal law about the credit repair industry. In part, the law prohibits credit repair companies from charging upfront fees for services and knowingly lying about clients’ credit history.
- New Jersey Fair Credit Reporting Act (NJFCRA) – New Jersey state law that’s based on the federal FCRA. While they’re similar in many ways, you may have extra rights under NJFCRA, such as additional disclosures from employers that check your credit.
People often turn to credit counseling or credit repair companies in New Jersey because they’d rather hire someone who understands credit laws, credit reporting, and credit scoring than trying to tackle the complex field on their own. Based on their knowledge and history of working with credit bureaus, a trained credit specialist can spot errors that may be hurting your score and otherwise gone undetected.
Bottom Line: Find the Right Fit
With its number one rankings, long list of five-star reviews, and A rating from the BBB, Credit Saint distinguishes itself as one of the top credit repair companies in New Jersey. (And don’t worry, we also provide services to residents of other states.)
You can choose from one of our three packages based on your needs and budget. They all come with access to our credit counselors and 90-day money-back guarantee.